Tuesday, September 30, 2008

How I do my slideshows

I use imovie for slideshows, though I might actually have to use moviemaker and flickr, and voicethread in the future because my school is on PC's. Usually, I do the narration in garageband, another Mac program, because you can put music to it, which you can fade in and out. I have used podcasting, but not slideshows, in my classroom. I do use powerpoint slide shows when we read stories in class. I try to find pictures of things that relate to the stories so that the students are stimulated both visually and aurally. I would probably use Flickr to do the same things; perhaps I would use Picasa, as I am a google person. Right now, I am so excited about my podcasting for disabilities idea, I don't know what to do with myself! Slideshows do help with those kids though; they are more engaged when they know what we're talking about.

2 comments:

Molly said...

Hi Emily, I am so glad that you did your voicethread on Working Boys Center! I remember both the downtown center and the more suburban one. It was wonderful to see all the faces and hear your explanation of how it all works.

I thought about using imovie, but I decided to give Voicethread a shot. I actually thought it was pretty simple, but imovie might work better. I was more frustrated with Flickr in terms of the slide show because it wouldn't let me organize the pictures. I haven't used Picassa thoroughly so I don't know too much about all its functions.

Anyway, both shows turned out fine..so I really think its about efficiency!

Brent Eckhoff said...

I've found that a lot of my minority students like this as well. They ALL love it, but the minority students seem to find it very helpful. We just watched sections of "Charly" in class, which they tore apart in a very academic manner, because it didn't correspond to the book as much as they thought it should. That, and they were totally engaged in a movie made in 1963!

What is picassa like? Is it superior to flickr, or is it just a different company running it?