Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Digital Writing

This is my second blog. When I traveled to Ecuador, I used a blog to relate stories to my friends and family scattered throughout the world. I found that it was a great way to communicate with a large number of people at once, and I avoided the impersonality of a mass email. I like blogging because I like writing, and I think that blogging is a practical way to have a written conversation.

I've just started teaching at South St. Paul Secondary School (7th grade), and I am looking forward to using blogging in my next unit. I plan to have the students do a blog role play for various novels that we will be reading. I tried to do this during my student teaching, but I met resistance. I found that students did not have the necessary technology skills to complete a blog project and that the school did not have the resources. I would have had to monopolize one of the school's two computer labs for 4 periods per day for about 2-3 weeks. Anyone who knows the reality of some schools' technology resources knows what I am talking about.

I was, however, able to complete a creative writing podcast with one of my classes. I found this to be very rewarding, motivating, and helpful. Though I haven't heard much student feedback after the project, I can report that the students were very engaged and focused when creating the podcast itself. I also used this medium during my practicum last year at Crosswinds, and I found the same results: kids get very excited by the thought of recording their own voice reading their own work. Unfortunately, I have typically used Mac computers to complete this project and I have handled most of the technical side of things (I use my computer and my podcast microphone). If I continue to teach here at SSPPS, I would like to apply for a grant to purchase these things for my classroom.

I think that digital writing can enhance communication, but I am skeptical of the notion that digital always improves communication. I think that sometimes speaking and old-fashioned pen-and-paper writing is sometimes useful in that it's familiar, and also necessary for "the real world". I am a little taken aback by how infrequently issues of access are mentioned amidst the zeal in English Education for all things digital. There are students who don't know how to use a computer, who don't have a computer at home. Also, digital writing is still a bit controversial in actual school settings because it challenges knowledge that older teachers might not have. I am interested and willing to try a variety of digitally-based projects, but I am careful to consider the caveats along the way.

In all, I look forward to this class and what it will teach me so that I can pass that knowledge on to my students and perhaps even my colleagues.

2 comments:

Brent Eckhoff said...

I totally agree with what you say about accessibility. I still have students that don't know how to send an email attachment! It seems unfair, especially for my students in poverty, to be so exclusively digital because it does turn some people off. What's funny about all of this is that my school is pushing technology in a big big way, but like you, we have very limited resources! If I want students to type a paper so they can edit on the fly, I have to beg, borrow, and steal to get the necessary machines available for just one day. I'm thinking of stealing a mobile cart next week...
I've always been interested in putting a podcast together. What was it like? You'll have to tell me sometime because I'm kind of scared of it. I'm really a coward at heart.

Molly said...

-I am so excited that you went to The Working Boys Center! I can't wait to talk to you more about it!

-I agree that blogging is great for people who like to write.

-Isn't it funny that students lacked tech skills? I feel like it is often stressed how savvy kids are...still, many kids do not have the resources. It would be interesting to consider ways that kids/schools without the resources could still benefit from a technology-friendly curriculum. Good luck with your grant! I appreciate your skepticism.

-I am excited to learn how to use podcasts.

-I agree with you about pen and paper writing. A couple weeks ago, I discovered a set of journals that I wrote in every day from age 6 to 8. These were an amazing find complete with my childlike handwriting, misspelling, and point of view. Is this possible if students were writing on blogs?