Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Individualized Learning Plan

Individualized Learning Plan


1. I will work independently on this project
2. I plan to create a curriculum unit around a game, though which game I am not quite sure. I am interested in possibly looking at the curriculum I will be using for next year and seeing if I can create a unit that I will actually use. If not, I will create a unit based on something I have already taught.
3. The project will be completed by next Thursday, August 14, 2008.
4. I will need to know the curriculum for which I will be responsible next year. Also, I will need to know the level to which I intend to teach the material, though I think that I teach the same material to a variety of different levels. In that case, I will need to know what sorts of accommodations/differentiations I need to make for each different level.
5. I will complete the project on my own, so the activities will probably take place in my home and in my school (South St. Paul Middle School).

In short, I want to find a way to use play to illuminate the reading experience for my future 7th grade students. I am considering an online role-play that will allow the students to become and write as characters from one of the novels we are doing, but I’m not sure if that will work. My overall goal is to have something that I can actually use in my classroom instead of just an academic exercise.

1 comment:

LisaUrsa said...

I like the online role-play idea, but I think it could be kind of hard.

In the late '90s I taught college Spanish & had an online role-playing classroom, that is they were divided into groups (different colors) of 3 or 4 students each, then I assigned a different online scenario to each group and they needed to make a play about it. It was not entirely successful--they mostly just chatted with each other and complained about the technology. But they did chat and complain in Spanish, so that was good. But they didn't use the vocab or make up the skits.The students who liked it best were the shy ones who never spoke in class. It was one of the only online Spanish chat classes in the US at that time.