Tuesday, March 4, 2008

My Visual Essay

So, as you might be able to tell, this is my first time using imovie. I just realized that I forgot to put music on it! Ah, I am silly. Anyhow, I found this experience interesting, to say the least. I have to admit that I was somewhat intimidated by imovie, because I don't know how to use it, but really, it's just like a very simple and broader version of powerpoint. Making a movie really does get you to think about the order in which one puts the images, and the effect the images will have on my audience. I wanted to pick things that were familiar to many people of our generation, since I think that, at least in the beginning, my literacy journey seemed pretty typical. During my middle school years, however, I was exposed to some things (such as Il Postino) that many were not. I remember the special feeling that I got from these things, and how part of that came from it being "outside the mainstream". I could have included many more images; perhaps I will in my digital literacy project. I have no idea if this meets the requirements, because this is my first try, but I hope you found it visually coherent, salient, impacting and organized. I hope you like it, again, sorry there's no music, but baby steps here, next time, I promise.

OK IF YOU ARE READING THIS EARLY, PLEASE KNOW THAT I AM TRYING REALLY HARD TO GET MY VIDEO UPLOADED HERE, BUT IT'S NOT WORKING. I AM GOING TO STUDY UP ON THIS, AND HOPEFULLY IT WILL WORK BEFORE 5 PM WEDNESDAY. I REALLY HOPE SO. OK. THANKS.

2 comments:

Denise said...

What a fun nostalgic trip! I'm glad you explained Il Postino because I was thinking that didn't come out until I was an adult (I know I'm a little obsessed with being old), so to see it in your "journey" early on threw me a little. But it's really interesting how we're all exposed to so much that is similar and those few unexpected bits really make an impact.

Nice job with imovie--good for you for trying it out!

Denise

Candance Doerr-Stevens (a.k.a. "dancing stylus") said...

Emily, I'd admire your initiative to take on imovie for this mini digital literacy assignment. Not bad for a first time at imovie. --candance

p.s. the Oregon Trail image was classic